Gift baskets are fun to make and can include anything. Most baskets have themes, such as boys or girls’ birthday, Valentine’s Day, Christmas and baby showers, but you are not limited by these themes.
What You Will Need To Get Started
- While you don’t need a special permit to sell gift baskets, you should find out if your city has zoning laws that prohibit you from selling products out of your home.
- There are a number of companies that sell gift basket kits, supplies, instructional books and DVDs to get you started. Try these companies:
- To fill your gift baskets, look for deals in your area. You may have a flea market or dollar store in your area that carries great basket making supplies such as baskets, fillers, candy, etc.
- To avoid wasting money, don’t buy too many supplies until you have orders. You want to see what your customers like.
Taking the Next Step
- Start a website, so you can spread the word, display your product and get business outside of your local area.
- As with any home based business, it’s a good idea to look into forming a legal business entity, like an LLC, to protect your personal property and money.
- Because you are buying and selling products from your home, it is especially important to keep your business finances separate from your personal finances. If you can’t do this on your own, talk to an accountant.
How Much Can I Make?
- Gift baskets usually sell from $15-$200. How much you make will depend on how many gift baskets you sell.